About Dr. Mark Liker MD, FAANS, FACS
World-renowned Neurosurgeon Mark Liker, MD, FAANS, FACS,
Founder and Partner, Neurosurgical Associates of Los Angeles, Inc. dba California Neurosurgical Institute.
And, is the founder and CEO of BrainStim Centers, Inc., with clinics in Encino and Valencia, California, and soon also in Cancun, Mexico.
Princeton University, Princeton, New Jersey.
B.S.E. – Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, 1987.
Completed requirements for medical school admission and topical program in Robotics and Industrial Automation.
State University of New York – Health Science Center at Brooklyn. Brooklyn, NY. Medical Degree, 1995.
Summa cum Laude with Distinction in Research.
LAC+USC Medical Center, Department of Neurological Surgery, Los Angeles, California. June 2001. Fellowship Certificate in Complex Spinal Surgery.
Plasticity and Models of Parkinson’s Disease.
Laboratory of Drs. T. McNeill, M. Jakowec, G. Petzinger. Keck School of Medicine at the University of Southern California. August 1999-July 2002.
Honors And Awards
- Top 1% of US Neurosurgeons – 2011 US News and World Report.
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society – Junior Year inductee.
- Merck Achievement Award – 1995.
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers Service Award-1987
- Dewitt-Wallace Reader’s Digest Fellowship for biomechanical research at the Rusk Institute of Rehabilitative Medicine-1985.
- Diplomate of the American Board of Neurological Surgery
- California Medical License A062368
- Fellow of the American Association of Neurological Surgeons
- Fellow of the American College of Surgeons
- Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society
- American Association of Neurological Surgery
- American Society for Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery Congress of Neurological Surgery
- North American Spine Society
- World Society for Stereotactic and Functional Neurosurgery Society of Lateral Access Surgery
- Founder and Partner, Neurosurgical Associates of Los Angeles, Inc. dba California Neurosurgical Institute. 2005-present
- Founder and CEO of BrainStim Centers, Inc. 2019-present
- Assistant Professor, Department of Neurosurgery, Keck Medical Center of the University of Southern California. 2003-present
- Medical Director, Henry Mayo Hospital Neurosurgery Department. 2007-present
- Medical Director, Northridge Hospital Medical Center Gamma Knife Unit. 2005-2016
- Member, Board of Directors, Henry Mayo Hospital, Valencia, CA. 2006-2018
- Member, AANS Information Technology Committee. 2013-2017
- MacLean JA, Ferman D, Chu JK, Liker MA, Sanger TD. Transient Complete Resolution of Tourette Syndrome Symptoms Following Personalized Depth Electrode Placement. Brain Sciences: November 2021.
- Acosta FL, Shapovalov V, Lobo BM, Liker MA. Radiographic Evaluation Radiographic evaluation of low back pain after lumbar fusion using Technetium-99 single-photon emission computed tomography: Impact on clinical decision-making and outcome. Interdisciplinary Neurosurgery: Advanced Techniques and Case Management: January 2021.
- Sanger T, Liker M, Arguelles E, Deshpande R, Maskooki A, Ferman D, Tongol A, Robison A. Pediatric Deep Brain Stimulation using awake recording and stimulation for target selection in an inpatient Neuromodulation Monitoring Unit. Brain Sciences: June 2018.
- Deep A, Adeeb N, Hose N, Rezaei M, Abbasi Fard S, Tubbs RS, Yashar P, Liker M, Kateb B, Mortazavi MM. Mouse models of spinal cord injury and stem cell transplantation. Translational Research in Anatomy 1: Oct 2015.
- Mortazavi MM, Jaber M, Adeeb N, Deep A, Hose N, Rezaei M, Abbasi Fard S, Kateb B, Yashar P, Liker M, Tubbs RS. Engraftment of neural stem cells in the treatment of spinal cord injury. Translational Research in Anatomy 1: Oct 2015.
- Adeeb N, Deep A, Hose N, Rezaei M, Abbasi Fard S, Tubbs RS, Yashar P, Liker M, Kateb B, Mortazavi MM. Stem cell therapy for spinal cord injury: the use of oligodendrocytes and motor neurons derived from human embryonic stem cells. Translational Research in Anatomy 1: Oct 2015.
- Burchiel K, Liker M, and Lozano A. Introduction: Deep brain stimulation: current assessment, new applications, and future innovations. Neurosurgical Focus 38(6): June 2015.
- Bhanpuri N, Bertucco M, Ferman D, Young S, Krieger M, Liker M, Sanger T. Deep Brain Stimulation Evoked Potentials May Relate to Clinical Benefit in Childhood Dystonia. Brain Stimulation: 2014.
- Sheth SA, Eskandar E, and Liker M. Introduction: Evolving Trends in Movement Disorder Surgery. Neurosurgical Focus 35(5): November 2013.
- Karas PJ, Mikell CB, Christian E, Liker MA, Sheth S: Deep Brain Stimulation: A Mechanistic and Clinical Update. Neurosurgical Focus 35(5): November 2013.
- Olaya JE, Christian E, Ferman D, Luc Q, Krieger M, Sanger T, Liker MA. Deep Brain Stimulation in Children and Young Adults with Secondary Dystonia: The Children’s Hospital Los Angeles Experience. Neurosurgical Focus 35(5): November 2013.
- Liker MA, Won DS, Rao VY, and Hua SE. Deep Brain Stimulation: An Evolving Technology. Proceedings of the IEEE 96(7): 1129-1141, 2008.
- Liu W, Humayun MS, Liker M. Implantable Biomimetic Microelectronics Systems. Proceedings of the IEEE 96(7): 1073-1075, 2008.
- Berger TW, Gerhardt G, Liker MA, Soussou W. The Impact of Neurotechnology on Rehabilitation. IEEE Reviews in Biomedical Engineering 1: 157-197, 2008.
- Liker MA. Neural Interface Technologies. Applications of Biomedical Engineering to Neurosurgery. Neurosurgical Focus 20(5): 1, 2006.
- Liker MA, Petzinger GM, Nixon K, McNeill T, Jakowec, MW. Human Neural stem cell transplantation in the MPTP-Lesioned Mouse. Brain Research 971: 168-177, 2003.
- Apuzzo MLJ, Liker MA, Amar AP. Brave New World: The Dawn of Neurorestoration and the Emergence of Molecular and Cellular Neurosurgery. Clinical Neurosurgery 49: 274-315, 2002.
- Michael L. Levy, Larry T. Khoo, J. Diaz Day, Mark Liker, J. Gordon McComb. Optimization of the Operative Corridor for the Resection of Craniopharyngiomas in Children: The Combined Frontoorbitozygomatic Temporopolar Approach: Technical Note. Neurosurgical Focus TM 3, 1997.
- Johnson WD, Bolognese P, Miller JI, Heger IM, Liker MA, Milhorat TH. Continuous postoperative lCBF monitoring in aneurysmal SAH patients using a combined ICP-laser Doppler fiberoptic probe. Journal of Neurosurgical Anesthesia 8: 199-207, 1996.
- Littman MG, Liker M, Stubbeman W, Russakow J, McGee C, Gelfand J, Call BJ. Electromechanical analogs of human reflexes. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 563: 184-194, 1989.
Invited Oral Presentation/Lectures
- Liker M. Invasive Neuromodulation of Brain Circuitry. University of Southern California Viterbi School of Engineering. Biomedical Engineering 552 Course Lecturer – Neural Implant Engineering. April 14, 2022.
- Liker M. Personalized DBS For Movement Disorders and Psychiatric Indications: Proof of Concept. Society for Brain Mapping. Los Angeles, CA. March 12, 2022.
- Liker M. Personalized DBS For Movement Disorders and Psychiatric Indications: Proof of Concept. The Winter Clinics for Cranial and Spinal Surgery. Aspen, CO. March 2, 2022.
- Liker M and Shapovalov V. Use of Modern SPECT-CT Imaging for the Diagnosis and Management of Cervical and Lumbar Pathology. North American Spine Society Evidence and Technology Spine Summit. Park City, UT. February 10, 2022.
- Liker M. New Advances in Deep Brain Stimulation for Parkinson’s Disease. Parkinson’s Community of Los Angeles Zoom Conference. July 17, 2021.
- Liker M. USC Parkinson’s Disease Symposium. Keck Medical Center of USC. Moderator for Session: Let’s Talk about DBS. May 23, 2020.
- Liker M. DBS for Dystonia. 26th Annual Van Der Meulen Symposium: Advanced Therapies for Movement Disorders. Keck Medical Center of USC. Los Angeles, CA. March 7, 2020.
- Liker M. Deep Brain stimulation: Improving Lives by Improving Brain Circuitry. 6th Annual Brain Mapping Day of The Congressional Neuroscience Caucus. Capitol Hill, Dirksen Senate Conference Room, Washington DC. March 8, 2017.
- Liker M. Deep Brain Stimulation for Dystonia: Neuromodulation to Neuroplasticity. Society for Brain Mapping and Therapeutics 13th Annual Meeting, Miami, FL. April 8, 2016.
- Liker M. Innovation and the Future of Care for the Neurosurgical Patient. First Brain Mapping Day. Australian Parliament, Canberra, NSW, Australia. October 12, 2015.
- Liker MA. Devices in Treating Brain Disorders and New Surgical Approaches. USC School of Graduate Education Course #599 Drug Development in CNS Disorders. Los Angeles, CA. July 18, 2015.
- Christian E and Liker M. DBS for Secondary Dystonia: Defining the Problem, Managing the Expectation. Society for Brain Mapping and Therapeutics 12th Annual Meeting. Los Angeles, CA. March 7-9, 2015.
- Sanger T, Marks W and Liker M. Deep brain stimulation for secondary dystonia – Instructional Course. American Academy for Cerebral Palsy and Developmental Medicine 68th Annual Meeting. San Diego, CA. September 10-13, 2014.
- Liker MA. Devices in Treating Brain Disorders and New Surgical Approaches. USC School of Graduate Education Course #599 Drug Development in CNS Disorders. Los Angeles, CA. July 19, 2014.
- Liker MA. DBS Surgical Targeting and Procedure. 2013 Update on Deep Brain Stimulation at USC. Los Angeles, CA. April 13, 2013.
- Liker MA. DBS User Perspectives. National Institutes of Health – Neural Interface Technologies Conference. Long Beach, CA. June 21, 2010.
- Liker MA. Deep Brain Stimulation – Merger of Biomedical Engineering and Neurosurgery. California State University – Los Angeles, College of Engineering and Technology, Department of Electrical and Computer Science. EE 454 Biomedical Signal Processing Spring Course. May 13, 2010.
- Liker MA. Surgical Vs Medical Treatment for Parkinson’s Disease: Point/Counterpoint (Moderator).
- Cedars Sinai Medical Center – Advances in Neurology and Neurosurgery 2010: Marina Del Rey, CA. November 21, 2009.
- Liker MA. Deep Brain Stimulation: Neurorestoration of the Brain. Providence St. Joseph Hospital. Burbank, CA. November 5, 2009.
- Liker MA. Parkinson’s Disease: Current Surgical Treatments. Neuromorphic Engineering Student Society – California Institute of Technology. Pasadena, CA. May 7, 2009.
- Liker MA and Won D. Progress in Stem Cell Research for Neurodegenerative Disorders. Emerging Technology and Techniques in Neurosurgery, Las Vegas NV. November 9, 2008.
- Liker MA and Wyler A. Cortical Stimulation for Stroke: Clinical and Preclinical Data. Biomedical Engineering Society Annual Meeting, Los Angeles, CA. September 29, 2007.
- Liker MA. Physiology of Neural Response to Injury. BMES-ERC Research Symposium: Biological Response to Central Nervous System Implants. Los Angeles, CA. January 27, 2006.
- Liker MA. Translational Research across a Narrowing Divide: Neurosurgery and Biomedical Engineering. Engineering “Boot Camp”: USC Viterbi School of Engineering. March 22, 2005.
- Liker MA. Gamma Knife Radiosurgery for Functional Disorders. Los Angeles Radiological Society: 57th Annual Midwinter Radiation Oncology Conference. Los Angeles, CA. February 26, 2005.
- Liker MA. Monitoring the motor pathways during spine surgery: TcMEP and D-Waves. Cedars Sinai Medical Center – CME. 8/27/03.
- Liker MA, Nobuko U, Nixon K, McNeill T, Petzinger GM, Jakowec MW. Neural Stem Cell Survival in the MPTP-lesioned Mouse. Congress of Neurological Surgeons, 51st Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA. 9/01, #42.
- Zelman V and Liker MA. Neuroprotection. 6th Euroacademia Multidisciplinaria Neurotraumatologica Congress, May 14-17, 2001. The Burdenko Neurosurgery Institute of the Russian Academy of Medical Sciences, Moscow, Russia.
- Liker MA and Zelman V. Gangs and Pediatric Violence in Southern California: Epidemiology and Neurotraumatology. 6th Euroacademia Multidisciplinaria Neurotraumatologica Congress, May 14- 17, 2001. The Burdenko Neurosurgery Institute of the Russian Academy of Medical Sciences, Moscow, Russia.
- Liker MA and Zelman V. Surgery and stereotactic radiosurgery for intracranial tumor management. 6th International Symposium: Contemporary Minimally Invasive Technology, May 19-21, 2001. Military Medical Academy, Saint Petersburg, Russia.
- Zelman V and Liker MA. Anesthesia and Brain Protection for Endovascular Therapies. 6th International Symposium: Contemporary Minimally Invasive Technology, May 19-21, 2001. Military Medical Academy, Saint Petersburg, Russia.
- Liker MA and Zelman V. Ballistics and Penetrating Head Injury. 6th International Symposium: Colloquy on Minimally Invasive Technology – Military Neurosurgery Satellite Forum, May 21, 2001. Military Medical Academy, Saint Petersburg, Russia.
- Liker MA, Petrovich Z, Giannotta SL, Yu C, O’Day SJ, Kristedja TS, Apuzzo MLJ. Radiation- induced complications following single-dose Gamma-Knife stereotactic radiosurgery for intracranial metastasis. American Association of Neurological Surgeons Annual Meeting, April 2001. Toronto, Ontario, Canada. #711
- Liker MA, Hsiung R, George J, Levy ML, and McComb JG. Metastatic Versus Primary Lesions of the Pediatric Spine: Presentation and Surgical Experience. Congress of Neurological Surgeons Annual Meeting. San Antonio, TX, 10/00. #146.
- Liker MA, Hsiung R, George J, Levy ML, and McComb JG. Intraoperative Blood-product Transfusion Requirements in the Pediatric Spinal Tumor Population. Congress of Neurological Surgeons Annual Meeting. San Antonio, TX, 10/00. #151.
- Choi S, Han D, Lampa RA, Aminpour S, McComb JG, Levy ML. Delayed Loss of Ambulation in Patients with Open Neural Tube Defects. Congress of Neurological Surgeons Annual Meeting. San Antonio, TX, 10/00. #141. Presented by Liker MA.
- Liker MA, Petrovich Z, Giannotta SL, Yu C, O’Day SJ, Kristedja TS, Apuzzo MLJ. Radiation- induced complications following single-dose stereotactic radiosurgery for intracranial metastasis. Western Neurosurgical Society Meeting, Mauna Lani, HI, 9/00.
- Liker MA, Hsiung R, George J, Levy ML, and McComb JG. Pediatric Spinal Axis Tumors: A Review of 15 years Experience. AANS/CNS Section on Pediatric Neurosurgery, Atlanta, GA, 12/99. #PE99- 121.
- Levy ML, Liker M, Wang MY, Magnadottir H, McComb JG. Endoscopic Fenestration of Third Ventricular Arachnoid Cysts. AANS/CNS Section on Pediatric Neurosurgery, Atlanta, GA, 12/99.
- Apuzzo MLJ and Liker MA. Metamorphosis in Neurosurgical Communication given at the Society of University Neurosurgeons Meeting, University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 3/99.
- Liker MA, Levy ML, and McComb JG. Craniopharyngiomas: Experience with Complex Approaches in Children. American Academy of Neurological Surgery. Santa Barbara, CA 11/98.
- Liker MA. Tuberous Sclerosis-Presentation and Pathology. Presented at the Monthly Neuroscience Conference. Children’s Hospital of Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, 5/98.
- Liker MA. Gait Analysis. Presented at Cooper-Union College, New York, NY, 10/94. In conjunction with the engineering biomechanics course given by Thomas Haher, MD.
- Liker MA. The Mechanism of Muscle Activity. Presented at Cooper-Union College, New York, NY, 3/94. In conjunction with the engineering biomechanics course given by Thomas Haher, MD.
- Liker MA. Special Sensory Structures and Functions. Lecture for Health-Related Profession Students-SUNY-Health Science Center at Brooklyn. Brooklyn, NY, 6/92.
- Adventist Hospital – Bakersfield, Bakersfield, CA Antelope Valley Hospital, Lancaster, CA
- Children’s Hospital of Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA
- Children’s Hospital of Orange County, Irvine, CA Henry Mayo Memorial Hospital, Valencia, CA
- Keck Medical Center of USC, Los Angeles, CA
- Los Robles Regional Medical Center, Thousand Oaks, CA
- Mercy Truxtun Hospital, Bakersfield, CA Northridge Hospital Medical Center, Northridge, CA
- Providence Holy Cross Medical Center, Mission Hills, CA
Dr. Liker was recognized by the U.S. News & World Report as being among the top 1% of neurosurgeons in Los Angeles.
Spine and Neck Surgery
Dr. Liker perform minimally invasive Neck and Spine surgeries and received a fellowship certificate in complex Spine Surgery at the USC Medical Center in Los Angeles, CA.
DBS Deep Brain Stimulation
Dr. Liker is an assistant professor and faculty member at USC Keck Medical Center where he directs the Center for Deep Brain Stimulation to children and adults.
TMS & MeRT Stimulation
As part of Dr. Likers´own research, TMS & MeRT (Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation) became so much of interest that he opened 2 clinics of his own in Encino & Valencia CA.